The 2018 Ram 1500 is accessible in a whopping 11 totally different trim ranges, starting from the entry-level Tradesman to the luxury-minded Restricted Tungsten version, with lots of the top-level trims getting the redesigned Ram grille and enormous Ram emblem on the tailgate that may change into customary on the all-new 2019 Ram. It is also supplied in crew cab, quad cab and common cab, and.
With this purchaser’s information, Autoblog goals that can assist you make an informed resolution about whether or not or to not purchase the 2018 Ram 1500. We’ll contact on security and reliability rankings, engine specs, horsepower, gas financial system rankings and pricing. And we’ll conclude with a abstract of Autoblog’s most up-to-date test-drive of the Ram 1500.
Ram 1500 security rankings
The Nationwide Freeway Site visitors Security Administration offers the Ram 1500 an general score of 4 out of 5 stars. On frontal crashes, the vehicles will get 4 stars, and it will get a prime score of 5 stars for facet crash safety. Rollover crash rankings vary from three of 5 stars for the four-wheel-drive variations to 4 stars for rear-wheel-drive fashions.
Crash rankings from the Insurance coverage Institute for Freeway Security are extra of a blended bag. IIHS offers the Ram 1500 “marginal” rankings for driver-side small overlap entrance crash safety, roof power, headlights and LATCH child-seat anchors, whereas assigning “good” rankings for all the pieces else.
Is the Ram 1500 dependable?
It’s a must to return to the 2016 model-year for the final Ram 1500 that J.D. Energy reviewed. It gave the pickup two out of 5 stars — “under common” — for general high quality, and three of 5 stars — “about common” — for general efficiency and design, and predicted reliability.
A fast word: Autoblog has raised some considerations with how J.D. Energy weighs severe and less-serious reliability points. You may examine that right here.
In keeping with the Nationwide Freeway Site visitors Security Administration, there have been three remembers of the 2018 Ram 1500 pickup truck, all in calendar-year 2018:
- In Might, the Ram 1500 was amongst many different Fiat-Chrysler fashions recalled for a software program defect that would stop the cruise management from shutting off.
- A smaller recall earlier that month centered on incorrect park lock rods that will have prevented the transmission from shifting into park.
- A recall in February centered on an issue that would trigger car transmissions to shift out of park and into gear with out pushing the brake pedal or having the important thing within the ignition.
In all circumstances, Fiat-Chrysler stated it might notify house owners and make the required repairs freed from cost.
How a lot inside and cargo room does the Ram 1500 have?
We’ll break these up by cab configuration:
- 39.9 inches entrance headroom
- 41 inches entrance legroom
- 62.5 cubic ft of inside quantity
- Alternative of 6-foot-Four cargo mattress, providing 57.5 cubic ft of quantity, or Eight-foot mattress providing 74.7 cubic ft
- 41 inches entrance headroom, 39.7 inches rear
- 41 inches entrance leg room, 34.7 within the rear
- 64.2 cubic ft of inside quantity
- 6-foot-Four cargo mattress providing 57.5 cubic ft of quantity
- 41 inches entrance headroom, 39.9 inches in again
- 41 inches entrance leg room, 40.three inches within the rear
- 64.2 cubic ft of inside quantity
- Alternative of 5-foot-7 cargo field, providing 50.three cubic ft of quantity, or 6-foot-Four cargo field, at 57.5 cubic ft
Ram 1500 engine specs and horsepower
There are a number of engine choices for the Ram 1500:
- A three.Zero-liter EcoDiesel V6 that generates 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque
- A three.6-liter Pentastar V6 that makes 305 hp and 269 lb-ft
- A 5.7-liter Hemi V8 that boasts 395 hp and 410 lb-ft
Towing capability ranges from Four,210 to 10,640 kilos.
How gas environment friendly is the 2018 Ram 1500?
The three.Zero-liter diesel V6 is probably the most environment friendly engine, delivering 20 miles per gallon within the metropolis, 27 mpg on the freeway and 23 mpg mixed for the rear-wheel-drive model, or a mixed 22 mpg for four-wheel-drive.
With the three.6-liter V6, the Ram 1500 is rated at 17 mpg within the metropolis and 25 mpg on the freeway for a mixed 20 mpg.
The 5.7-liter Hemi V8, in the meantime, gives 15 miles per gallon within the metropolis, 22 mpg on the freeway and a mixed 17 mpg.
How a lot does the Ram 1500 price?
The 2018 Ram 1500 Tradesman mannequin begins at $28,740, together with the $1,645 vacation spot cost, whereas the Restricted mannequin climbs from $55,140.
Use Autoblog’s Good Automotive Shopping for program powered by TrueCar to go looking out aggressive native pricing and financial savings on the 2018 Ram 1500.
Autoblog Ram 1500 overview
The final time Autoblog reviewed a Ram 1500 from the present technology was the 2013 mannequin yr, when the three.6-liter V6 grew to become the usual engine. Reviewer Zach Bowman praised the truck’s improved gas financial system, powertrain and inside.
“For the primary time in years, a home automaker is taking a intelligent take a look at constructing a greater truck,” he wrote. “The result’s a mannequin that embarrasses the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra at their very own video games whereas giving the F-150 one thing to sweat over.”